Forthcoming September 2017 • paper
Tags: CorrectionsForthcoming Teacher's Manual
With millions of offenders serving community corrections sentences each day in the United States, the topic of community corrections could not be more important than it is today. This text provides a detailed exploration and examination into the journeys of community corrections offenders. Moving beyond other texts on this subject, this book examines the literature on all types of community corrections offenders—not just probationers and parolees—as well as offender reentry experiences for all types of offenders (i.e., adult and juvenile). Additionally, discussion of the role of gender, race, and social class is included in the context of explaining experiences and how various factors and programs can contribute to, or stifle, successful offender reintegration.
Integrating the most recent research on various topics such as community corrections officer roles and assessment, this book offers what others texts in community corrections fail to. Tired of yawns when covering dry material? This text also garners student interest by including past pivotal and contemporary case examples to relate material discussed in the chapters to the “real world.” For instance, students will be exposed to pop culture case references to pique their interest (e.g., 50 Cent, Lindsay Lohan & Chris Brown) and other relevant local and national cases that will help them to synthesize the material. Finally, a discussion on the ever-changing role of technology as it currently relates to community corrections both now and in the future is highlighted.
Changing a text can be a difficult decision. This text offers:
1) Student Learning Outcomes at the beginning of each chapter.
2) Case examples that relate to the material in the chapters at the beginning of every chapter.
3) Recent research on topics.
4) Relevant tables and figures to illustrate points and assist students who are visual learners.
5) International examples and comparisons whenever possible.
6) Discussion questions and activities at the end of each chapter to foster critical thinking and allow students to research topics in their own jurisdictions
7) Teacher’s manual that includes chapters outlines, PowerPoints, and sample essay and quiz questions.
If you are a professor teaching in this field you may request a complimentary copy.